[gdal-dev] ArcInfo export (EOO) files

Daniel Morissette danmo at v...
Wed Aug 21 13:10:14 EDT 2002

Ben Discoe wrote:

> What is the status of GDAL/OGR being able to read from ArcInfo E00 files? I
> know it is a "proprietary format" but apparently there is some public
> documentation for it around, e.g.
> http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/docs/v7_e00_cover.html
> .. in fact i seem to recall that person is a GDAL contributor - is there
> some reason why i don't find E00 listed in the supported formats?

Frank added support for binary coverages (even better than E00) in OGR a
few months ago based on my AVCE00 library.

I guess E00 could be added as well based on the same library, but that
would require some more development time and might not be worth the
effort since E00 is ASCII and hence would be very slow for interactive
use, and there is not much benefit to it anyway since binary coverages
are faster and are already supported.

If you have E00 files then you can turn them into binary coverages using
the AVCIMPORT program that you can find at
http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/e00/index-avce00.html

I hope that helps.

Daniel
Daniel Morissette morissette at d...