[gdal-dev] Use of the virtual dataset/rasterband

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Wed Aug 28 08:34:39 EDT 2002

Paul Selormey wrote:
> Hello,
> Anybody at home?

Paul,

Yes, somebody somewhere is at home. In fact, even I am.

> What is the use of the dataset/rasterband objects?

> Sorry, I mean the virtual dataset object (it contains some stuff
> relating to XML), but I could not get the purpose of the dataset.

The virtual dataset "format" is a way of writing an XML description of a
dataset where the image data is derived from other GDAL supported datasets.
It has a number of potential uses including:

o A way of creating a dataset with different, or complete metadata without
copying image data.

o A mechanism to merge bands from many files into one.

o A way to create a subsetted dataset (without copying image).

o A way to build a virtual mosaic from a set of data files.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...