[Gdal-dev] steph@derecho.jpl.nasa.gov

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Dec 13 16:32:44 EST 2002

Stephanie Granger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting (unsuccesfully) to install GDAL onto a Sun Sparc
> running Solaris2.8. I am trying to access HDF and HDF-EOS files via
> GRASS5.0 and need GDAL to read the HDF (else, I have to write my own
> interface and I don't want to do that).
>
> I do not have root access on my system and my grass binaries are in
> my home directory, grass libs are in my local grass5 directory.
>
> I downloaded the GDAL tar ball, unzipped, un-tarred it and executed
> ./configure for my system. When I execute gmake, I get the following
> messages:
>
> gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/steph/usr/local/gdal/gdal-1.1.7/core'
> c++ -c -I.. -I../port -I../core -I../ogr -Wall -fPIC -O2  -I/home/steph/grass5
> /home/steph/grass5/include -I/home/steph/grass5
> /home/steph/grass5/include/include   -I/usr/local/include
> -DINST_DATA=\"/home/steph/bin/share/gdal\" \
>         gdaldrivermanager.cpp -o gdaldrivermanager.o
> c++: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
> gmake[1]: *** [gdaldrivermanager.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steph/usr/local/gdal/gdal-1.1.7/core'
> gmake: *** [core-target] Error 2

Stephanie,

It looks like the list of include files has been corrupted somewhat as
the /home/steph/grass5/include doesn't have a -I in front of it.  You could
fix this by hand in GDALmake.opt ; however, if you want HDF support you will
need a more recent snapshot of GDAL than 1.1.7.  You can download a nightly
snapshot from the GDAL web site.

Are you wanting to use r.in.gdal from within GRASS to read HDF files?  If
so, I would encourage you *not* to build GDAL itself with GRASS support as
this results in two copies of the grass library getting linked into r.in.gdal.
You will need to download and build the HDF libraries before building an HDF
enabled GDAL.  See the HDF format page (or perhaps the build page?) for more
information.

Good luck,