ECW Image Web Server support

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at l...
Thu Jan 3 17:36:32 EST 2002

Hi guys,
I must say I am very impressed with the support that has been built into
gdal for ecw. They have a "web" format of this imagery and I was curious
to try out gdalinfo and gdal_translate on it. Sure enough, it worked like
a charm. I know after reading through the gdal documentation that image
sources are not constrained to files, but I was blown away by the fact that
this was built in here. I assume you need the ecw sdk loaded - I'm on
windows 2000 so it works for me! Thanks a bunch.

FYI - Here's a sample of my syntax:
gdal_translate -outsize 5% 5%
ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/medical/xray/hand.ecw test_ecw.tif

My only question is why can't I do:
gdal_translate -of JPEG -outsize 5% 5%
ecwp://www.earthetc.com/images/medical/xray/hand.ecw test_ecw.jpg

I get told:
Size is 12753, 8689
0.ERROR 6: GDALDriver::Create() ... no create method implemented for this
format.
GDALCreate() failed.

Any ideas? I assume I need some jpeg library installed - any
recommendations to where to get a win32 version if this is the case?