[gdal-dev] djvu: interesting?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Sat Mar 2 12:14:27 EST 2002

brasheardj wrote:
> DjVuLibre (http://djvu.sourceforge.net/) is a GPL'd document
> compression system. It includes:
> c44: a wavelet-based continuous-tone image encoder (a la JPEG-2000)
> which is built around the library included in the package (as is
> djview, the sample viewer).
>
> I did some testing with USGS TIFF-format DOQs (I used the images
> available from PASDA http://www.pasda.psu.edu).
>
> I tried several of these images and found no degradation.
> Representative compression was:
> 33130126 braddock_pa_sw.tif (ZIP-compressed GeoTIFF)
> 45946667 braddock_pa_sw.tif (uncompressed GeoTIFF)
> 5552480 braddock_pa_sw.djv (DjVu IW44 compressed, default options)
>
> Is this interesting at all?

Derrick,

The fact that this includes continous tone image support does make it fairly
interesting for inclusion in GDAL. The fact that well integrated web plugins
are available for browsers might make it very interesting for UMN MapServer.

I have been planning to incorporate the JasPer JPEG2000
compressor/decompressor in GDAL. DjVu might be nice too.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...