[Gdal-dev] GDAL for PPC Linux

Carl Brown cbsled at ncia.net
Sun Nov 24 19:03:03 EST 2002

I have been unable to find or build a working libgdal for use with GRASS 5.0.0
running under Yellow Dog Linux 2.3. (kernel 2.4.18)
Most of my data is SDTS, so GDAL is crucial to the use of GRASS on this
machine.
I have tried the prebuilt libgdal115-linux-grass.tar.gz,
building from source gdal-1.1.7.tar.gz,
and building from source via cvs.

In all cases, I had a freshly installed file named libgdal.1.1.so in
/usr/local/grass5/lib/, but r.in.gdal always aborted with this error:

	GBBridgeInitialize() failed to find an suitable GDAL .DLL/.so file.
	The following filenames were searched for:
	  o libgdal.1.1.so
	  o gdal.1.0.so
	  o gdal.so.1.0
	  o libgdal.so.1

	The following locations were searched:
	  o /usr/local/grass5/lib
	  o System default locations.

I am not a programmer, so I don't know where to look to find the problems, or
how to fix them. Obviously the build is failing. Tell me what diagnostic
information to post, and I will post it.

Carl Brown