[gdal-dev] can't find libproj.so

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Tue Nov 19 22:30:39 EST 2002

nakiya123 wrote:
> I am trying to use an OGRCoordinateTransformation object but it fails
> with:
>
> ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), creation of
> OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
>
> My program uses the proj4 library directly for coordinate
> transformations(pj_fwd, etc.) and it works, so it must be finding the
> library. It's in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH and I even set it up in my
> ld.so.conf path/setup stuff. It shows in this:
>
> % ldconfig -p | grep -i proj
> libproj.so.0 (libc6) => /home/dmingus/lib/proj4/lib/libproj.so.0
> libproj.so (libc6) => /home/dmingus/lib/proj4/lib/libproj.so
> libmrproject.so.0 (libc6) => /usr/lib/libmrproject.so.0
>
> I'm running RH8.0 with gcc-3.2.7, gdal from cvs(thanks for j2k!!!),
> and proj-4.4.4 AND I've tried proj-4.4.5 both from source. Any
> suggestions?

Hmm,

This is odd. You could try building and installing PROJ.4 from CVS, but
I don't think that should be necessary. You might also want to put some
printf() statements in LoadProjLibrary() in ogrct.cpp to see what
part is failing. Is it the initial CPLGetSymbol() call for "pj_init", or
one of the new functions?

If the initial CPLGetSymbol() is failing then the problem is somehow related
to your search paths (ie. LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

I would also suggest setting the CPL_LOG_ERRORS environment variable to some
non-empty value, and setting the CPL_DEBUG environment variable to ON. This
might cause CPLGetSymbol() to cough up some extra info on why the shared
library load is failing.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...