OpenEV_FW 1.5.1 Binary Release for Linux (Beta)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Mon Oct 7 04:06:01 EDT 2002

Folks,

I am trying to put together an interim release for OpenEV that is sort
of like the OpenEV_FW series of releases for Windows. With as many formats
built into GDAL as possible, and more utilities for stuff like GDAL, PROJ.4,
and OGDI.

My first attempt is (or should soon) be available at:

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/gdal/openev/openev_FW_linux_1.5.1.tar.gz

This includes:

OpenEV - (CVS snapshot)
GDAL - 1.1.7.3 (CVS snapshot). Includes support (above base formats) for
GML, VPF and RPF via OGDI, GRASS, FITS, JPEG-2000 (prototype),
PostGIS and HDF.
PROJ.4 - 4.4.5+ (CVS snapshot)
OGDI 3.1.1
Python 2.2.1

Gillian, a few minor items that might be of interest for the official releases:

o I use the SGI "OSS" libGLU since the Mesa one you were using seemed semi
hosed to me.

o I used builds of libGTK without debug information to shrink things a bit.

o I updated to Python 2.2.1.

o I modified the openev startup script a bit to set OPENEV_HOME, so that
it doesn't get confused if another OPENEV_HOME is already set.

BTW, the Python 2.2.1 tree is just huge. It is 20MB out of 52MB when the
tree is unpacked. I trimmed a few things out of the default tree (like it's
XML support).

So, if a few people could try downloading this 17MB distribution and run it
I would appreciate it. Let me know if you have any problems with shared
libraries.

PS. This OpenEV uses the C API for OGR. It should be relatively easy for
people to build their own GDAL locally and have it override the one I am
distributing if they need specific formats that aren't included. However,
I have tried to include almost everything.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...