Contract Work Prospects

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at p...
Wed Oct 30 02:08:44 EST 2002

Folks,

I often have chunks of work I would like to subcontract if I could find
people willing to work for a modest wage and who have good knowledge of
various libraries and applications I work on. Some of this work is not
work I am paid for by clients, but just maintenance I would like to get done
so I can concentrate on paid work!

What I am looking for is someone who:
o is looking for part time contract work. The amounts of work will be
variable and should not be depended on as a primary income!
o has good internet access.
o has a *good* knowledge of one or more of OGR, PROJ.4, GDAL, OpenEV, and
MapServer.
o has a passion for GIS, and geospatial work, and open source solutions.
o is a skilled C/C++ programmer.
o has good written english communication skills.

It would be a bonus if the person is actively using/programming with the
listed packages as part of their "day job". Also knowledge of Python is
an asset.

The pay would be modest. This is not work that is likely to be very
attractive to consultant/contractors in high wage countries. Especially
since some of the work will be funded directly out of my pocket and
done in an exploratory fashion. Exact pay would depend on applicable
experience but would start out quite low by North American standards.

Once I am comfortable with a partner I would be willing to include the person
for joint contract work where it makes sense or pass over contracts I don't
have time for directly to them. Note that this may require a quite a high
comfort level as I wouldn't feel right about recommending someone to my
clients unless I am confident in their work.

I already work on a similar basis with Andrey Kiselev, primarily for GDAL
and libtiff related work and I am pleased with how that is going, but Andrey
has a finite amount of time he can spend doing work outside his full time
work.

In the short term my most pressing needs are in OGR, improving existing
vector translators, and adding additional ones. I also have substantial
outstanding maintenance items for PROJ.4, and lots of things I would like
to do with OpenEV.

Any interested parties should reply directly to me.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at p...