[Gdal-dev] GDAL_translate and FIT(S) crash

Simon Perkins s.perkins at lanl.gov
Mon Apr 7 12:38:44 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 10:16, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > Frank,
> >    The file type confusion arises from the programs. The GDAL_Translate
> > DOS window output, with
> > no arguments supplied, lists the format as FIT as does OpenEV's Export
> > box. The HTML documentation
> > does list the format as FITS and the extension as .fits. Confusion is
> > understandable.

Jim,

Just to clarify, there are two different but similarly named formats
supported by GDAL: FITS and FIT. FIT is always supported, FITS support
is optional and depends upon you having the cfitsio library installed.
When I type gdal_translate, I see the following:

GDAL 1.1.8.0, released 2002/12/21

The following format drivers are configured and support output:
  VRT: Virtual Raster
  GTiff: GeoTIFF
  NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format
  HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
  ELAS: ELAS
  AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid
  DTED: DTED Elevation Raster
  PNG: Portable Network Graphics
  JPEG: JPEG JFIF
  MEM: In Memory Raster
  GIF: Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
  FITS: Flexible Image Transport System
  BSB: Maptech BSB Nautical Charts
  XPM: X11 PixMap Format
  BMP: MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap
  PNM: Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)
  ENVI: ENVI .hdr Labelled
  PAux: PCI .aux Labelled
  MFF: Atlantis MFF Raster
  MFF2: Atlantis MFF2 (HKV) Raster
  FIT: FIT Image

i.e. both FIT and FITS are supported. Is this what you see? And which
format are you after? The astronomical one (FITS) or the SGI one (FIT)?

Cheers,

Sy