[Gdal-dev] OGR, PROJ.4, and handling of Datum

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Apr 17 08:17:14 EDT 2003

Ben -

Well, you could be right about this being a missing grid shift file.
Before I wrote I checked the National Geodetic Survey converters, and
they use the same grid shifts.  Then I tried the current version of
Corpscon (Nadcon) just to be sure - no luck.  So it appears the Army
Corps of Engineers won't convert those old Army coordinates <g>.

When you report the "correct output", are you saying you have some other
tool that DOES do the conversion, or are you just estimating the
expected value?

I presume that the Army (or whoever) created a local NAD27-derived
Panama datum for doing their work.  Unfortunately, if you want to get
the conversions right you're going to need to research what that datum
really is and get documentation for it.  I know that work in Central
America used a few datums derived from NAD27 with varying degrees of
rigor - you might trying hunting in NIMA / DMA documents for it.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396
ed at topozone.com