[Gdal-dev] MrSID format (+ GDAL doc page)

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:53:18 EDT 2003

Aleksey,

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 03:08:23PM -0400, Aleksey Naumov wrote:
> Is there any way to read MrSID files without the DSDK from LizardTech?

I'm afraid, there isn't other way to do this. GDAL works as a wrapper
for DSDK.

> I have a few orthophotos in MrSID format and I'd like to convert them
> to another, non-proprietory format. Paying for DSDK $500 is not really
> an option. :-( Unfortunately, the decode utility downloadable from
> LizardTech does not work for me, the tar file does not even extract
> properly.

Try to download their software again. Both Linux and Windows utilities
from LizardTech works good enough for me for converting purposes. Linux
one sometime crashes and works only for MrSID files version 1.x (yes,
LizardTech has several backward incompatible versions of the format!),
so you may consider using Windows viewer.

> A unrelated note on GDAL main documentation page (index.html) -- 2
> fixes under Key Documentation Entry Points:
> 	- edit links to GDALDataset and GDALRasterBand classes to remove
> 	the '_' in files names (class_GDALDataset.html =>
> 	classGDALDataset.html)

Thanks, fixed.

> 	- "gdal_utilities.html" page seems not provided with the package
> 	(CVS),

Are you sure? I have rebuilded all documantation with `make docs'
command and all files seems to be written properly, including
gdal_utilities.html.

					Regards,
					Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517