[Gdal-dev] Writing in USGS DEM Format ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 4 13:09:51 EDT 2003

mat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Complete beginners questions here,
>
> Any plans to, or anyone working on the ability to write in USGS ASCII
> DEM format ?

Mat,

It has not been my intention to implement writing USGS ASCII DEM format.

> I,m trying to convert UK dem data in any of the formats available here:
>
> http://www.landmap.ac.uk/download/dem2_user_cood_selector.htm

Lots of these are support for read and write by GDAL.

> into USGS ASCII DEM that I can import (3 ARC SEC) into the terrain
> modeller Terragear.
>
> http://www.terragear.org/docs/scenery-tutorial/fg-scenery-tutorial.html

Skimming the terragear page, it seems that DTED is supported.  GDAL
can write DTED, though it sometimes tricky since DTED products are
only normally produced in 1 degrees chunks at particular resolutions.