[Gdal-dev] improving gdal parallel build

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:49:04 EDT 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:22:34PM +0200, Alessandro Amici wrote:
> i tweaked a couple of rules in the top level GNUmakefile in order to fix
> parallel builds. 'make -j 200' on my home uni-processor now builds everything
> ok. i will not be able to test on a real SMP machine for a while, thou.
>
> is there anybody else interested in parallel builds?

Alessandro,

At least you have one user: it's me. Parallel builds saves ~20% time on
uniprocessor system and much more time on multi CPU one. I have access to
the dual Xeon system and have ~2x compilation speed up. It is real
improvement, thanks for your work!

Using -pipe option helps to save even more time (~5--15%, depending from
system type). Of course, this is only important for those, who need
recompile the whole library very often...

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517