[Gdal-dev] vector to raster conversion

Brian Marchand bmarchand at ara.com
Wed Aug 27 12:56:14 EDT 2003

Frank,

I'm interested in the contour case. In thinking about the problem I
realized it wasn't trivial which is why I was hoping there was some
software or an algorithm out there already.  I imagine that picking a
good raster cell size would be difficult enough then it seems like you
would have to identify the field definition that gives you get the z
value. You could prompt for that so that wouldn't be so bad. Then
filling in between the contour lines, yikes! I'll check into GRASS.
Since I'm not GIS educated, I'm wondering if this is covered in any text
books that anyone is aware of.

Thanks for your help

Brian