[Gdal-dev] projections and netcdf

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 13:42:28 EDT 2003

Alexis Zubrow wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am relatively new to gdal.  I have been using OGR to do some coordinate
> conversions between various projections.  It has been very useful.
>
> I have a large dataset that is stored in netCDF format.  I want to
> reproject the data from one coordinate system to another.  But I want to
> maintain the data in netCDF format.  I've looked through the
> documentation for OGR and gdal, but I haven't found much to help me.  I
> can easily setup the CoordinateTransformation object from OGR.  I also can
> store the data in a large Numeric Array (time, layer, x, y).  Can I
> reproject the data into a new numeric array?

Alexis,

In theory this might be possible, but I am not sure what the state of
Python access to the warping algorithms is at.  Andrey, have you done any
work on this?

> BTW, does anyone have any more documentation on using python version of
> OGR?

I'm afraid not.  My hope is that it operates similarly enough to the C/C++
API that looking over ogr.py and the C/C++ docs would be sufficient.