[Gdal-dev] Re: undefined python objects

Sean Fulton fulton at cmu.edu
Mon Dec 1 16:11:09 EST 2003

> I am trying to compile GDAL on OSX with python support, but I get the
> following errors on building:
> <SNIP>
> The only advice I have seen so far is to compile without python
> support, but thats not really a solution. Python support is the only
> reason I am looking to use GDAL.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Chris,

The python that comes with OS X isn't set-up the way it is on other
OSs. There is no shared library (i.e. libpython.so or libpython.dylib),
at least on 10.2, to which GDAL can link . I *think* 10.3 has python as
a framework in which case you may be able to link against
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python by passing
'-framework Python' to the linker. Or you could try creating a soft
link from  /path/to/lib/libpython2.3.dylib to
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python.

I think you can build python as a framework by hand if you're not on
Panther. Searching python.org will probably be more useful than I have
been. The GDAL developers probably don't have the time or resources to
hunt down platform inconsistencies like this, so I'm sure they'd
appreciate any help in resolving it.

Good luck, and let us know if you get it working!

	Sean