[Gdal-dev] Employment Opportunity for GIS Programmer

Mark Phillips mbp at geomtech.com
Wed Dec 3 15:47:36 EST 2003

Apologies in advance because this message is not directly related to
GDAL, but it may be of interest to some people who read this
list.

The National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), which is part of the US
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), has an opening
for a GIS programmer.  NCDC is the US national archive of weather
data; all government weather observations from around the US are
archived and made available to the public from here.

The job will involve working with ArcIMS.  They are committed to
sticking with ArcIMS, (this is their decision, not mine), but I can
say that there is at least one person in the building, namely me, who
is a big GDAL/MapServer proponent, so there would be at least some chance
to discuss and possibly use these tools.  There is some level of
underlying support and precedent within the organization for the use
of open source software (for example we use Linux servers).

The job is in Asheville NC, which is in the heart of the western NC
mountains, one of the most beautiful areas of the country.  If you
like outdoor activities like hiking, canoing, hunting, etc, and
aren't averse to working with ArcIMS, then consider coming to join the
small but growing collection of high tech software developers here in
Asheville.

The job announcement is in the paragraph below.  Feel free to contact
me [Mark Phillips <mbp at geomtech.com>] directly if you have questions
about the nature of NCDC in general, but note that the official
contact for the job is Rich Baldwin <Rich.Baldwin at noaa.gov>.

    The National Climatic Data Center is seeking to fill a contract
    position for GIS lead developer.  The position would be onsite
    here at the federal building in Asheville, NC through a contract
    company supporting NCDC.  We are looking for an individual with a
    strong background in ArcIMS and ArcSDE.  Java and/or JavaScript
    experience would be a consideration (though not required), and
    Unix and/or Linux experience is preferred.  The starting date
    would be as soon as possible, but is negotiable.

    If you are interested or know of someone who may be interested,
    please forward resumes to Rich.Baldwin at noaa.gov.

----

Mark Phillips @ Geometry Technologies LLC
77 Owenby Cove Road