[Gdal-dev] Also against NIMA/US Army

Grabowski, Hank hgrabows at stk.com
Fri Dec 12 09:22:24 EST 2003

I found another tool off of the Capscon site.  Apparently the tool
doesn't convert to WGS84 but only to NAD83, which they say is "close
enough for most uses."  However they recommended a tool called GEOTRANS.
This tool is supposedly put out by the US Army Topographic Engineering
Center Geospatial Information Division and the NIMA Exploitation Tools
Division.  The results are below.  I used the same data points as I
listed previously for the Easting/Northing values.  I chose the NAD 27
UTM zone 16 baseline going to the WGS84 Geodetic output.  The values
don't match any of the four previous tools for latitude, but seems to
agree more with the OGR/Corpscon results.

Product	Lat			Lon
		DD MM SS.sssss 	DDD MM SS.sssss
USGS		37 11 24.57282 	085 54 17.71610
ESRI		37 11 24.57 	085 54 17.72
OGR		37 11 24.76		085 54 17.62
Corpscon	37 11 24.75909	085 54 17.61834
GeoTrans	37 11 24.9344	085 54 17.6040

Hank Grabowski
hgrabowski at stk.com
1-610-578-1000
Experience the analysis and visualization power of STK 5.0 by upgrading
today! Order your free copy at http://www.stk.com to get started!