[Gdal-dev] Python compatibility?

Thom DeCarlo T.R.DeCarlo at LaRC.NASA.GOV
Mon Dec 15 14:30:05 EST 2003

Hi,
I just downloaded the current release of Python (v2.3.2) from their website.
Unfortunately, it does not include everything needed to compile GDAL 1.1.9.
When building GDAL I get missing include file errors in the gdal_py.h file.

        cd pymod
        if exist "C:\Program Files\Python23"\python.exe nmake /nologo /f
makefile.vc
        cl /nologo /Ox /MD -I..\port -I..\ogr -I..\gcore -I"C:\Program
Files\Python23"/include -DHAVE_NUMPY /c gdal_wrap.c
gdal_wrap.c
gdal_py.h(56) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file:
'Numeric/arrayobject.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'

After further searching, I found that gdal is expecting to find the
Numerical Python package, as well as the basic Python. Numerical is not part
of the basic installation, and according to the Numpy website
(http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy/) it is going to be phased out in favor of
Numarray.

Can this dependency be explicitly noted in the GDAL nmake.opt file? (I'd
submit the change myself, but my network admin has blocked the ports needed
to run CVS.)

Thanks,
Thom

Thom DeCarlo