[Gdal-dev] How does ogr2ogr choose geometry type

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Thu Dec 18 19:13:16 EST 2003

I doing some conversion from shape file to PostGIS with ogr2ogr.  That's a
great utility.  I'm finding that, in one case, a polygon will not meet the
database constraint for the geometry type.  Looking into it further, I see
that ogr2ogr identified the type as POLYGON.  When I manually specified
MULTIPOLYGON during the translation, it worked fine.

This leads me to the question of how does it determine which type to use?
Will it ever use multipolygon on it's own?

Tyler