[Gdal-dev] convert GTIFF to BMP

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 3 11:33:48 EST 2003

Ayman Kamal wrote:
> I want to convert a GTIFF (geo tiff ) file to a bitmap
> file (*.bmp) so that I can open it in any viewer is
> this possible using GDAL library?

Ayman,

BMP format is supported in GDAL 1.1.8.   Use a command like this:

gdal_translate -of BMP input.tif output.bmp

See the online docs for details about the BMP format.  If you don't
have a GDAL 1.1.8 based (or more recent) version of GDAL you can download
OpenEV_FW 1.5.4 from:

   ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/openev