[Gdal-dev] Setup scripts for Python (win32 and Linux-rpm).

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 7 09:57:23 EST 2003

Cherkashin Evgeny wrote:
> Hi, Frank and all!
>
> I've reworked the setup.py script according to Your needs and convenience.
> Now:
> 1. There should be no __init__.py in the pymod directory.
> 2. setup.py and MANIFEST.in sould be placed and run from the source root.

Evgeny,

OK, I have committed setup.py and MANIFEST.in in the gdal root directory
after fixing up a few things in setup.py.

> 3. The script is not intended to be the sdist (source distribution)
> creator, but binary packages for Linux (rpm) and win32.
> 4. MANIFEST.in is used only to produce temporal source RPM package.

I don't really understand what 3) and 4) mean.  What is a temporal
source RPM package?

> How to use:
> 1. Compile the GDAL library as regular.
> 2. issue in the source root:
> win32: python setup.py bdist_wininst
> Linux: python setup.py bdist_rpm
> Source RPM will contain libgdal.1.1.so and all the includes (everything
> for building the python module) and should be ignored.
> Consider the source distribution the original gdal sources with the
> files included.

OK, I tried running the "python setup.py bdist_rpm" command and got:

   building RPMs
   rpm -ba --define _topdir
/debian/home/warmerda/osrs/gdal/build/bdist.linux-i686/rpm --clean
build/bdist.linux-i686/rpm/SPECS/Python_GDAL.spec
   -ba: unknown option
   error: command 'rpm' failed with exit status 1

What is the significance of the "-ba" option?  I would add that this
is on RedHat 8.

In any event, a dist/Python_GDAL-1.1.8.tar.gz was produced.  I tried
unpacking this and doing a "python setup.py build" and things seemed to
go fine.  I didn't try installing it though.

Sorry, I guess the Python_GDAL-1.1.8.tar.gz would be suitable for distribution
to Linux users who want to install GDAL just for use from Python, right?
Where does it install libgdal.1.1.so?  Are there likely to be problems if a
slightly different version of libgdal.1.1.so is installed elsewhere?  How
would I go about making a binary distribution that installed itself
normally for stuff like binaries and shared data but also installed Python
support properly on the platform?

While I don't think I quite get how setup.py would be properly used, it is
committed to CVS and we can work at this for future releases.