[Gdal-dev] How to add a utility to GDal ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 13 10:00:06 EST 2003

Anand Madhavan wrote:
> Hi GDal Users,
>
>    I am using GDAl to translate images between formats. I would like to add
> my own utility to GDal in addition to the already present ones, which would
> use the APIs of GDAL. Is there a documentation as to how I should modify the
> MakeFile, etc ... so that my utility compiles along with the GDal libraries
> ? Any help regarding this is highly appreciated.

Anand,

Normally when implementing your own applications or utilities it would
be done outside the GDAL source tree, and then linked against the GDAL
library.   This avoids problems when upgrading to new versions of GDAL.
However, if you want to do it within the GDAL source tree just put your new
application code in gdal/apps, and modify the makefile.vc, or GNUmakefile
in that directly accordingly.  Just copy the rules for one of the existing
programs like gdal_translate.