[Gdal-dev] convert GTIFF(NED) to BMP, error

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Sun Feb 16 05:01:58 EST 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 12:28:58AM -0800, Ayman Kamal wrote:
> gdal_translate -of BMP -ot Byte -scale <infile.tif>
> <outfile.bmp>
>
> The bmp file is generated but I get the following
> error
>
> ERROR 6: Dataset does not support the SetProjection()
> method
>
> why do I get this error, any more explanation about it
> and how to get rid of it?

This error raises because BMP format does not support storing
projection information. Not all formats has equal capabilities
for storing georeferensig. You may ignore this error (I think,
you don't need projection info if you are choose BMP as an output
format). Otherwise, if you want preserve this data, you need other
format. GeoTIFF is the most powerful, flexible and portable on present
moment, I'm suggest use GeoTIFF for all operations. Note, that if you
say

gdal_translate -of GTiff -ot Byte -scale <infile.tif> <outfile.tif>

you will get a scaled GeoTIFF file, which should be supported by many
image viewers.

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517