[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Feb 16 14:04:03 EST 2003

Ayman Kamal wrote:
> I want to use it as a statically linked library.
> Can you give me more explanation building apon this
> fact?

Ayman,

Since the 1.1.8 release I have added a "devinstall" target to the makefile.vc.
This will copy all include files and the gdal_i.lib stub library to a target
location specified in nmake.opt.

However, if you want to link against static libraries instead of the stub
library for use of the DLL things are substantially more complicated.  I
think you would need the following directories in your include path:

  $(GDAL_HOME)\port
  $(GDAL_HOME)\core
  $(GDAL_HOME)\ogr

You will need to link against the following library files:
  $(GDAL_HOME)\gdal.lib
  $(GDAL_HOME)\port\cpl.lib
  $(GDAL_HOME)\ogr\ogr.lib

If you are building a Visual Studio project you will also need to ensure
that you use compatible compile options for the GDAL static libraries and
your project.  It is likely best to modify the OPTFLAGS macro in the nmake.opt
file to match your visual studio project and rebuild GDAL.

I would stess though, that using the DLL is the preferred mechanism for using
GDAL.  It is easier to build.

Good luck,