[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate & OpenEV 1.50

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 18 09:36:52 EST 2003

Ayman Kamal wrote:
> I opened a 16 bit  geotiff file using OpenEV 1.50 and
> it was desplyed properly as a grayscale image,but when
> I used gdal_translate to convert this same file to a
> bmp file, it all appeared as black, why is that?
>
> I downloaded gdal_translate and OpenEV 1.50 from
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/openev/

Ayman,

OpenEV automatically scales 16bit images but does not do that for 8bit
greyscale images (such as BMP) since the 8bit values can be directly displayed.
After loading the BMP file try hitting the linear stretch button in OpenEV.

Also, be aware that a default translation to BMP from 16bit will map all values
larger than 255 to 255 and all values lower than 0 to 0.