[Gdal-dev] Building GDAL on Red Hat

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jan 27 11:41:25 EST 2003

Folks,

I installed Red Hat 8.0 this weekend, and have now reproduced some of the
problems people have reported building on this platform.  It seems that
gcc 3.2 (or at least common builds of it) have /usr/local/include in the
standard set of system includes.  The GDAL configure script was also adding
-I/usr/local/include to the include path for "convenience" and this produces
a warning from the compiler.  The problem was that the warning was produced
even when testing for include files like dlfcn.h and a warning is as good
as an error where configure is concerned, so these things were mistakenly
believe to not be available.

I modified GDAL's configure to no longer include /usr/local/include by
default and now things work somewhat better.

I also added a --with-local configure option to add a non-standard tree to
the include/lib paths.  However, because of where this gets put in the LIBS
variable (near the right) it may actually be a poor approach anyways.

PS. It has been painful but I now have sound, and CD writing working but I have
lost my accelerated OpenGL 3D support.  It sort of works with the XFree86
ATI driver but it crashes after one or two seconds of zooming.

Later,