[Gdal-dev] GNUmakefile cleanups (libtool related)

Alessandro Amici alexamici at tiscali.it
Thu Jul 10 17:33:51 EDT 2003

Frank,

On Thursday 10 July 2003 22:38, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Alessandro,
>
> Go ahead and commit these changes as you need.  Just drop the list a note
> indicating what you have change so we have some warning what we might
> encounter in our next cvs update, and who to complain to.

ok. and be aware that i can test only on linux and i can't build all the
supported drivers (expecially the commercial ones). so keep an eye on corner
cases!

> Note that in a few cases, like the gtiff/libtiff/GNUmakefile the relative
> path for object file dependence is different.

i know (indeed i didn't change them).

[snip]

> > as soon as the build system is libtool-friendly enough, i'll also submit
> > the libtool patch for review (hopefully it will add the libtool build as
> > a configure option without affecting the gdal-native build).
>
> Hopefully building without libtool will continue to work smoothly so we
> don't have to regress the changes.  But do go ahead and commit them when
> you are reasonable confident in them.

will do.

> For the next release (which I would like to call 1.2.0) I want to move to
> more normal library naming convensions when the library is installed.  If
> you are willing to do some of the heavy lifting on that I would be very
> appreciative.

judging from my experience with the gdal debian package, i don't expect the
name change to be such an heavy change, expecially if you plan to completely
drop the current libgdal.1.1.so scheme on all platforms.

cheers,
alessandro