[Gdal-dev] Geotiff support and issues with libgeotiff/libtiff

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Jun 17 14:15:40 EDT 2003

Hi,

While building grass51 from a cvs snapshot, I had to install a cvs
snapshot of gdal also, and since I maintain the packages in Mandrake, I
thought I would try and resolve some issues, such as enabling external
libtiff/libgeotiff support.

(this may not be totally on-topic, but libtiff/libgeotiff are also
hosted/maintained similarly to gdal I think, and I really don't want to
subscribe to another mailing list, and this is gdal-related).

It seems I need a newer geotiff than 1.1.4 (which is in the distro) to
do this, but libgeotiff 1.2.0 no longer ships with internal copies of
libtiff headers, and I have never managed to get any version of
libgeotiff to build against libtiff's headers (which is the problem that
must be solved).

The libtiff make install target installs these headers:
tiff.h
tiffconf.h
tiffio.h
tiffvers.h

Building geotiff 1.2.0 against this results in this error (and many others):
libxtiff/xtiff.c:29: error: parse error before "xtiffFieldInfo"

Yet, the internal headers for libtiff in libgeotiff<1.2.0 include:
tif_dir.h
tiffconf.h
tiffiop.h

So, I installed the following headers from libtiff:
tif_dir.h
tif_fax3.h
tif_predict.h
tiff.h
tiffcomp.h
tiffconf.h
tiffio.h
tiffiop.h
tiffvers.h

Since TIFFFieldInfo is declared in tif_dir.h, I added tif_dir.h as an
include to libxtiff/tiffio.h, and then I got a bit further, but more
errors appeared:
libxtiff/xtiff.c:32: error: `FIELD_CUSTOM' undeclared here (not in a
function).

I got stuck here, as I could not find any reference to FIELD_CUSTOM
outside libxtiff/xtiff.c.

Thus far I have again settled for building with internal geotiff support
in gdal, but can someone confirm whether it is actually possible to
build gdal with exteral geotiff support, and which headers are required
from libtiff to build libgeotiff 1.2.0?

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202