[Gdal-dev] Save GeoTiff

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 12 08:16:10 EST 2003

Ayman Kamal wrote:
> I used "gdal_translate" to convert a gray .bmp file to
> a geotiff file. I opened this file using GDAL library,
> and tried it in other viewers, it worked.
>
> Now I tried to convert a colored .bmp files: 256,
> 24bit
> Then I opened the resulting geotiff file in my
> application using GDAL and tried the same using OpenEV
> and it worked,
>
> BUT:
>
> I tried to open it using differnt GeoTiff viewers, one
> of them showed it as a whole black and the other didnt
> open it and complained with the message:
>
> "65535: Sample out of range, max 3"
>
> What is the problem? Is the problem that the images
> arec colored or what?

Ayman,

I have never seen this message before.  Could you provide the "gdalinfo"
report for the TIFF file produced by GDAL?  It would also be helpful to have
the "tiffinfo" report for it, if you are that application.  Tiffinfo is
usually installed with libtiff on most Linux systems or you can build it
from source (http://www.libtiff.org).