[Gdal-dev] problems with some formats

Vladimir Slepnev slepnev_v at newmail.ru
Mon Mar 17 16:49:00 EST 2003

Hi,

the 03/03/03 update of GDAL seems to have the HFA format broken. Under
Windows, GDAL just crashes (without any error messages) when trying to open
an IMG file.

Also, we still can't get ECW and JPEG2000 to work under Windows. When trying
to open a JPEG2000 file, GDAL crashes (We plugged in the new version of
JasPer from the GDAL website, modified the makefiles, etc., so I guess it's
not some stupid mistake on our part. I've already made a number of posts to
gdal-dev on the subject. It's clearly a Windows problem.) Also, GDAL always
fails to create an ECW file  - NULL is returned (we have the ECW SDK
installed and made the necessary changes to the GDAL build).

One may say that we should use the latest GDAL update. But this turns out to
be not the best policy for us - we already have about 5 different versions
of gdal11.dll, which work differently. For example, I just tried to update
GDAL through CVS. After that, nmake /f makefile.vc produced an error:

nmake.opt(56) : fatal error U1034: syntax error : separator missing

I guess we're just unlucky to use the Windows 2000 platform :-)
I really apologize for being so rude to you all :-)

Vladimir Slepnev
Programmer, RDC ScanEx