[Gdal-dev] Error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.1.1.so

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Thu Mar 27 03:35:40 EST 2003

Øystein,

some hints / checks to perform:
- if you do a new compile, usually the best thing is to do this entire set of
instructions (inside the gdal source dir):
	make distclean (this cleans up all your old object files *and* you old
configuration options)
	./configure --with-your-options
	check the ouput of ./configure to see whether really all your options were
included. The mere fact that ./configure did not give any errors is no
guaranty for this. It might be that GDAL configured OK but leaved out one of
your options because it could not find something...
	make
	make install (if make ran without errors).
	ldconfig (to tell the dynamic library loader to check the library directories
for new or changed libraries, like your just compiled libgdal.1.1.so.
This is the usual command sequence for compiling and installing a
program/library in linux, and sometimes it is too easily assumed that anybody
knows that...
- is the directory where libgdal.1.1.so is placed (usually /usr/local/lib) in
the path of the dynamic library? '/usr/local/lib' should either be in the
file /etc/ld.so.conf, or in the environment variable 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' (type
'echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH'  at the shell command line to check this). If not,
add it to one of them. Remember that, when you choose to use the environment
variable, this will be lost after your session. If you want to have it
persistent, put the line to add it to the variable somewhere in a script that
is called at each startup/login for the appropriate user. Or use
/etc/ld.so.conf.
- you can check which dynamically linked libraries a program or other library
needs by issuing the following command at the shell prompt: ldd
<programname>. If programname is your program that needs gdal, you will see
this referenced. This is merely to make sure the error is not somewhere else.

Probably the first two items of this list will enable you to get things
working. Oh, and make sure you don't have two versions of the same library at
two different places, like /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib... But this probably
won't be the problem in your case, as the linker would find a library then,
but usually it finds the wrong one...

Regards,
Vincent Schut.