[Gdal-dev] Filling a RasterBand with a constant value?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 2 10:08:52 EDT 2003

Simon Perkins wrote:
> To keep things simple I'll probably just do the full band fill for now.
> We can always add an optional rectangle argument later if there's a
> need.

Sy,

The caveat on this is any change to a method signature makes the C++ API
binary incompatible with previous versions.  Any change to the number of
arguments to a method with a C binding makes that C binding no longer safe
to call cross-version, though at least applications that don't call it won't
be affected since the signature in C won't have changed.

In many cases I prefer to include all options I would be interested in for
a method/function call at the beginning and mark some as unimplemented in
the docs if I don't want to do them right away.  Especially at the C level
I want applications built on old GDAL libraries to be safe to use with newer
versions of the library.  At the C++ level I have accepted that an application
pretty much has to be compiled against the exact same rev. of the library.