[Gdal-dev] python support under cygwin?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 14 15:50:28 EDT 2003

Amici Alessandro wrote:
> Frank,
>
> i installed Numeric-23.0 on cygwin in order to get python-gdal support.
> on:
> 	$ ./configure --withou-ld-shared
> 	$ make
> everything is ok, but on:
> 	# make install
> i get the following error:
>
> /bin/true gdal_wrap.o numpydataset.o gdalnumeric.o \
>         -L.. -lgdal.1.1 -ljpeg -ltiff -lpng -lz -lm -lm -o _gdalmodule.so
> ../install-sh -d /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages
> for f in *.py _gdalmodule.so ; do ../install-sh -c $f
> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-pa
> ckages ; done
> install:  _gdalmodule.so does not exist
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/cygdrive/c/home/amici/devel/gdal-cvs-030509/pymod'
> make: *** [install-actions] Error 2
>
> the problem is linked to the lack of shared libraries (LD_SHARED=/bin/true)
> on cygwin, which are assumed to be present in pymod/GNUmakefile.
>
> is there any chance to get python support under cygwin?
> have you (or anybody else) any idea on what needs to be done?
> should i file a bug?

Alessandro,

I have spent a couple of hours fiddling with the GDAL built on Cygwin.  I
found I had to upgrade to the latest Cygwin (1.3.22) to get good functioning
out of the DLL building support in Cygwin.  I also had to hack around at
the configure logic a bit for python support.  But now I am able to configure
GDAL out of the box on Cygwin and get a Python shared library (libgdal.1.1.dll)
and python support.

I would encourage you to try rebuilding tomorrow from the nightly snapshot,
or pull the current version out of CVS.

Known and suspected issues:

  o I was using the internal versions of libtiff, libpng, libjpeg and so
    forth because I avoided installing the cygwin versions at all.  I don't
    know if the cygwin versions will work or not, but I see the cygwin folks
    have updated to libtiff 3.6.0 already so it might.

  o I tried building and installing PROJ from CVS.  It works, but PROJ didn't
    produce shared libraries, and so the aspects of GDAL that utilize PROJ
    aren't going to work ... well, perhaps static PROJ linking could be
    utilized but that isn't trivial out of the box.

I have things setup so I can use a clean Cygwin environment on my NT partition
now, so perhaps I will do a better job at maintaining Cygwin build support in
the future.

I would also like to mention that I got most of the required changes from
Norman Vine's cygMakefile in gdal/pymod.  If I listened a little closer to
what Norman keeps telling me I am sure we would have had much better cygwin
support for some time.