[Gdal-dev] [ANNOUNCE] gdal debian package at mentors.debian.net

Amici Alessandro alessandro_amici at telespazio.it
Mon May 19 04:15:20 EDT 2003

folks,

i'm maintaining an _unofficial_ debian package for gdal hosted by the
debian mentors project.

Paul Baker was involved in the packaging of gdal one year ago, but he
agreed to leave the burden on me :), at least for now.

in the short term i plan to track the gdal cvs for unstable, since this
is what i personally need to have packaged to use with my apps.
in the longer term, i might try to apply as a debian developer or handle
it to an offical developer in order to push gdal into the official
archive, but this depends very much on the feed back i'll get from users.

right now the package have some issues, but it is perfectly usable on
i386. anybody interested is invited to try it and send comments,
suggestions or any kind of feed back to me. obviously priorities will be
driven by the feed-back i'll have :)

the packages are at:
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/gdal/

for easy upload add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
BUT PLEASE NOTE that there are a lot of other unrelated _unoffical_
packages on the same archive whose quility is probably not up to the
debian standards!

cheers,
alessandro