R: [Gdal-dev] [ANNOUNCE] gdal debian package at mentors.debia n.ne t

Amici Alessandro alessandro_amici at telespazio.it
Tue May 20 11:15:56 EDT 2003

Frank,

> For GDAL 1.2.0 I would like to do this right (more or less ...
> not using libtool though), and for now I would suggest we
> modify the configure to allow the configurer to provide an
> "LD_SHARED" command. The Debian build can provide one that
> correctly sets up the -soname option.

in order to avoid future naming conflicts, is it ok if i use:
	LD_SHARED = ld -shared -Wl,-soname,libgdal.so.1.1.9
i think 1.1 is not enough (but i may be wrong) and since the
last released version is 1.1.8 i'd better not use that number,
just in case someone tweaked the makefiles of the stable
version (i.e. i did).
what's your opinion? (i'm not sure i understood the soname
mechanism that deeply :)

i'll see if it is feasible.

> It would likely be best if I provide CVS access for you so you
> can do the patching directly, though I would like to be
> appraised of changes you make.

it _would_ be nice... unfortunately our overly zelous network
admins decided we "dont need any no ssh access" to the outside
world, and boldly blocked port 22... toghether with all other
ports save for port 80! sigh!
i think i'll send you patches for now.

cheers,
alessandro