[Gdal-dev] MODIS Level 1B earth-view (EV) products

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Wed May 21 11:06:21 EDT 2003

Hi, folks,

I have made a massive update to HDF4 driver and MODIS Level 1B
earth-view (EV) products now supported. This means, that list of GCPs
will be extracted by GDAL, so it is possible to make warping of the
input L1B dataset directly. All three types of EV products supported
(1km, 500m and 250m) for both satellites (TERRA and AQUA).

Note, that some datasets contain height information along with
longitude and latitude, so this may be used for DEM extraction.

Caveats:

1. Be ready to use `-nogcp' option in gdalinfo utility. MODIS L1B
   datasets contain huge amount of GCPs. For example, for 500m product
   you will get 1354 * 2030 = 2 748 620 points (1 point for every 2
   pixels).

2. I dont know what coordinate system (datum and ellipsoid) used for
   MODIS L1B GCPs. If somebody can point me to appropriate documentation,
   please, do it.

It is possible to implement the same for ASTER datasets, but slightly
harder. HDF is very flexible format and different products differ
significally. Also unification for a family of products also requires
reading a lot of data specifications. But I'm continue working on this
issue and complete support for ASTER L1A and L1B datasets will be
available at some point.

				Best regards,
				Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517