[Gdal-dev] PROJ.4...

Simon Perkins s.perkins at lanl.gov
Fri May 23 14:47:08 EDT 2003

Hi,

I just ran into the problem of using a GDAL function
(OGRCreateCoordinateTransform) that needed the proj.4 library and
discovering that we didn't have it. I'm just in the process of
installing proj.4 and hopefully that will fix things.

A couple of questions:

- Why doesn't building GDAL require proj.4 to be around? I can guess the
answer is just to reduce dependencies but it seems like a gotcha.

- Is there a case for putting an internal copy of PROJ.4 in the GDAL
tree that configure uses if proj.4 is not installed on the build
machine?

- I can't see proj.4 listed on the GDAL page under "other libraries" you
might need.

- What kinds of things trigger the need to load in the PROJ.4 library?

Cheers!

Sy