[Gdal-dev] OGR Error on State Plane transform

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 30 12:31:24 EDT 2003

Garvan Keeley wrote:
> Hi,
> I am attempting to project lat/long to state plane coordinates. The
> transformation fails, and I am getting the following error reported:
>
> "Unable to find state plane zone in horiz_cs.csv, likely because EPSG tables
> cannot be found.  Using incomplete definition of state plane zone."
>
> I have defined GEOTIFF_CSV to point to the csv files, and PROJ_LIB to point
> to its required files. Any ideas where I might find the EPSG tables?

Garvan,

What version of GDAL are you using?  Note that GDAL now (since the EPSG
6.2.2 upgrade a couple of months ago) uses more csv files than those
distributed with libgeotiff, so it is necessary for GDAL to find the files
in the gdal/data directory.  These include a file listing state plane zones
and "concatenated" information about files projected and geographic coordinate
systems.

However, the message you are getting about horiz_cs.csv is odd.  The
horiz_cs.csv doesn't exist anymore.  It seems likely you are either using
old software, or there is a part of GDAL (or libgeotiff) that hasn't been
updated to the new scheme properly.  To track that down I need details
of the version of GDAL, command and projections involved.