[Gdal-dev] continued build problems..

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 7 13:40:13 EST 2003

Byron Amerson wrote:
> Once again, thank you Frank.  I have been follwing your suggestions and
> learning quite a bit which is great.
> Incidentally - I completely rebuilt python2.3.2 and postgresql7.4beta5
> When I ran make for postgres it griped that libpython was not shared so it
> could not build the PLPYTHON bits.  I don't know if this (python shared
> libs) is relevant.
>
> I don't know how to proceed. It would be great to b using GRASS about
> now...

Bryon,

I don't have too much advice for you.  If you can provide ssh login access I
could try and work out the issues on your system, but it may be difficult.
I doubt the Numeric issue is at fault, but the fact that no python shared
library was found when building Postgres may well be related.

I would add that the _gdalmodule.so link on Linux (without libtool) looks
like this:

g++ -shared  gdal_wrap.o numpydataset.o gdalnumeric.o \
         -L.. -lgdal.1.1  -lclntsh -L/usr5/oracle/OraHome1/lib -lodbc -L/usr/local/lib -lxerces-c -ljasper
-L/u/pkg/hdf-4.1r5-linux/lib -lmfhdf -ldf -logdi31 -lgif -ljpeg -lgeotiff -L/usr/local/lib -ltiff -lpng -lz -lpthread
-lm -ldl  -lkdu -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq -L../.libs -o _gdalmodule.so

As you can see there is no attempt to link against a python library.  Things
depend on the python entry points (which your linker reports missing) at
runtime.  Clearly this mechanism isn't working on your system.  If you can
find a libpython.a, libpython.so or libpython.dynlib on your system you
could try forcing it to be linked in.

I would add a general point.  Past a certain point it isn't worth struggling
with the configure script anymore.  Just run it, and then fiddle with the
GDALmake.opt file.