[Gdal-dev] Build GDAL on windows using minGW

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 10 13:34:40 EST 2003

Gagan Tandon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had received suggestions from Norman and Alessandro sometime back to
> use either minGW or cygwin for building GDAL on windows without
> installing MS VC++ (sorry for a delayed response, as I was up to
> something else..:-)..). I have installed minGW/minSYS on my windows
> machine. But the usual build instructions given on
> remotesensing.org/GDAL website for windows(or unix) do not work on the
> minSYS interface. Obviously I am doing something wrong here. Does
> anybody has links/clues on how to build GDAL using minGW/minSYS..?
>
> I plan to use python 2.3 (for windows) to interact with GDAL.

Gagan,

Others may be able to be more specific.  If you used cygwin you would just
proceed with a normal unix style configure and build.  With MingW (not
really a supported build option) you would likely be best off installing
cygwin too, and using it to configure stuff (and for GNUmake), but modifying
the GDALmake.opt liberally to ensure it uses mingw's gcc.  Also, you may need
to make some changes in the port/cpl_config.h by hand.

I would suggest you get it working without Python before trying to tangle
with Python build and link issues.

Good luck,