[Gdal-dev] windows ogr2ogr including OCI

Julien Demaria dem at acri-st.fr
Thu Nov 27 09:47:02 EST 2003

>>Frank (or anybody who knows):
>>Is it possible to use cygwin to build a distributable win-binary? (e.g.
>>can run on a machine that doesn't have cygwin installed)
>>I'm willing to through some time and a computer at it although I'm not a
>>developer and it will take me some time to wade through. If you have an
>>RTFM to throw my way I'll take a shot at it.
>
>I believe you can run Cygwin executables without the rest of cygwin as long
>as you distribute one or two core cygwin DLLs with the .exe.  However, I
>suspect it would be very difficult to do cygwin builds with some of the more
>esoteric build options like oracle support.

With Cygwin you can :

         - compile your program to use cygwin DLL (default) and If you want
distribute your program you have only to bring the cygwin DLL with it ;

         - compile your program with the gcc -mno-cygwin
("-mno-cygwin               Use the Mingw32 interface").
           In this case your final program use the windows system's
MSVCRT.DLL and others instead the cygwin DLL.
           Note that in this mode you cannot use all cygwin features (for
example dlopen functions that Windows doesn't provide (You should instead
use the LoadLibrary interface of win32...)). Generally (my experience) it's
more difficult to compile a unix software in this mode than the default
mode because different linkage, missing symbols problems, ...
           => I easy compiled GDAL with cygwin DLL but it failed with
-mno-cygwin when I tried...

Julien