[Gdal-dev] ogrlayer GetExtent implemented yet?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 6 18:29:40 EDT 2003

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> In the ogr.py that I've got, I see that layer.GetExtent() says "not
> implemented yet".  Is there an alternative already available for extents on
> layers or does it just mean I need to do a bit more work?

Tyler,

I have just implemented the GetExtent() method for the Python OGR wrapper.  It
is now in CVS.  You can just copy this in place of the existing GetExtent()
in ogr.py:

     def GetExtent( self, force = 1 ):
         extents = _gdal.ptrcreate( 'double', '', 4 )
         res = _gdal.OGR_L_GetExtent( self._o,
                   _gdal.ptrcast(extents,'OGREnvelope_p'), force )
         if res != 0:
             ret_extents = None
         else:
             ret_extents = ( _gdal.ptrvalue( extents, 0 ),
                             _gdal.ptrvalue( extents, 1 ),
                             _gdal.ptrvalue( extents, 2 ),
                             _gdal.ptrvalue( extents, 3 ) )
         _gdal.ptrfree( extents )