[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr on Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1 vs. Red Hat 9

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 4 09:46:12 EDT 2003

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>       I'm running into some strangeness with ogr2ogr .  I am reprojecting
> the nwi quadrangle shapefiles  (ftp://www.nwi.fws.gov/shapedata ) using
> ogr2ogr called in a perl script  in the following fashion.
>
>  ogr2ogr -t_srs "NAD83" -f "ESRI Shapefile" $destnwi  $nwishape
>
> where $nwishape is the name of the input shape file and $destnwi is the
> name of the destination directory.
> I have the following as output:
>
> shapedir = /gis/import/nwi/athens/aonia_l.prj  #echoing the input filename
> quadname=aonia_l                                                  # echoing
> the quad filename
> deleting /oracle/data1/gisdata/SERegion/nwi/athens/aonia_l.shp  # delete
> the output shape file if it exists
>
> ERROR 4: Failed to open Shapefile
> `/oracle/data1/gisdata/SERegion/nwi/athens/aonia_l.shp'.
>
> ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
> translation of layer aonia_l
>
> A single file , aonia_l.shp is created with size 0 (according to ls -al) .

Doug,

I don't know why this failing, expecially with the error message you are seeing.
If the issue where create permissions for the shapefile, I would expect nothing
to be created.  It might be helpful to set "CPL_DEBUG=ON" in your environment
to get additional information.  Also, if you can run things under valgrind that
might provide some useful information.

I would appreciate anything you can do to narrow down this problem to something
I might be able to reproduce and debug.

PS. You have some nice systems!