[Gdal-dev] MapTech / BSB Legal Issues

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Sep 10 20:17:05 EDT 2003

Frank et al. -

It is dangerous to speculate without good legal advice and specific
precedents.  Having been a CTO for several companies and involved in
several IP issues (as a techie, not a lawyer), I will say that outside
of patent protection the way most companies protect their intellectual
property is through copyright and trade secrets.  If the secret is
disclosed, SOMEONE made a boo-boo.

I've never bothered with the format, but your BSB page describes a
patented algorithm that has been "reverse engineered".  It's usually not
necessary to reverse-engineer a patented process, because the patent
itself explains it.  But if it's patented, you can't use it without a
license from the patent holder - as in the Unisys LZW patent, for
example.  Everyone knows how to implement it, but you need a license to
do so legally.

EFF might be a good start, but a good legal opinion from someone is
needed here.  Applying "similar" cases is often very unhelpful and
misleading - the EXACT nature of the copyrighted materials, the specific
claims (all of them) in the patent, etc. are all relevant to whether
MapTech's claim has merit.  That's very hard for a non-professional to
determine, although it's VERY easy for a non-professional to engage in
exuberant speculation <g>.

-          Ed

Ed McNierney

President and Chief Mapmaker

TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.

73 Princeton Street, Suite 305

North Chelmsford, MA  01863

Phone: (978) 251-4242  Fax: (978) 251-1396

ed at topozone.com