[Gdal-dev] MapTech / BSB Legal Issues

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 10 21:49:40 EDT 2003

Folks,

I don't really intend this list (gdal-dev) to become an open forum for
discussing "intellectual property" issues.  I would encourage anyone
with helpful information to send it directly to me.

I would add that:
  o Maptech has not raised the patent issue.  At this time their only
    apparent concern is "copyright" of the cartography and format.  I will
    stick to addressing the specific issues they raise rather than
    broadening the discussion.
  o I am not disputing Maptech's right to license their data, and protect
    it's distribution in any way they are entitled to.
  o I will remove the information they have requested if they can provide
    any reasonably convincing information that I am doing something wrong
    under US or Canadian law.  For now I am just seeking clarification on their
    justification.
  o I will attempt to keep status information available at the link:
    http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/bsb/ipi.html even if I have to remove
    the source or other information related to the format.

I appreciate all the support and useful information I have received.  Now
lets return to our regular techical tasks. :-)