[Gdal-dev] image subsetting for arbitrary polygon

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Sep 22 09:55:59 EDT 2003

Xiaodong Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know of an open source code for subsetting an image with an
> area of interest of arbitrary shape. I know GDAL utility offers one
> function for subsetting an image by a rectangle. Thanks
>
> Xiaodong

Hi,

I am not aware of any such utility.  By arbitrary I assume you mean produce
a rectangular output file, but mask all data outside some polygon or set of
polygons?

Such a thing could be implemented in python using the openev polygon
rasterization and GDAL builtins, but it wouldn't be exactly trivial. :-)