[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL/GML Xerces Build Problems on Unix

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Sep 24 11:30:06 EDT 2003

Don't sweat it, no problem at all. I tend to give up easily. ;-)

I'll try again today from CVS and let you know if I run into
problems...

Steve

Steve Lime wrote:
> Xerces is in /usr/local. Here's what I get from configure:
>
> checking for Xerces C++... requested, but compile or link fails!
>
> g++ -I/usr/local/include/xercesc -DHAVE_JASPER_UUID -o conftest
> conftest.cpp -L/usr/local/lib -lxerces-c -lpthread -ljasper -lgif
-ljpeg
> -lpng -lz -lm -ldl
>
> conftest.cpp: In function `int main ()':
> conftest.cpp:2: `XMLPlatformUtils' undeclared (first use this
> function)
> conftest.cpp:2: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for

> each function it appears in.)
> conftest.cpp:2: parse error before `::'
>
> configure: error: Please correct Xerces options, or don't enable
> Xerces.

Steve,

I owe you and a number of other frustrated builders an apology.  It
seems
now that the only place I fixed up support for more recent Xerces
libraries
was on windows.  The Unix configure script still had a bunch of stuff
that
could only work with Xerces 1.6.  Whats worse is I told everyone (like
you)
who ran into problems that I had done it, and they must have just not
installed something properly.

Anyways, I have finally stripped all remenants of 1.6 off my system and
fixed
the GDAL configure scripts to work more generally.  The actual driver
code
was already fine from my having gotten things working on Windows.

Everything is now checked back into CVS and should be in tomorrows
snapshot.

Once again sorry for everyone who has been pulling out their hair.

warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for
Rent