[Gdal-dev] Re: porting of gdal to (optional) libtool build finally completed

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 25 23:21:53 EDT 2003

Alessandro Amici wrote:
>>I concur ... you can make "with libtool" the default, as --without-libtool
>>works to make things as they are now.  If we don't change the default, it
>>is unlikely the mechanism will get much testing and I would like it to be
>>the default for the 1.2.0 release relatively soon.
>

> will do soon.
>
> BTW, do you have a timeline for the next release?
> and a list of the must-have, must-fix items?

Alessandro,

I have no particular timeline, but 1.1.9 is falling pretty far behind so
I would like a new release fairly soon.  The only feature I am trying to
ensure is the "updated" handling of shared library building and versioning
which you have done, though I would like to review options for DLL versioning
as well on windows.

I will need to make a pass through outstanding bugs before a release, and
given the substantial changes with shared library versioning, I would
like to have a real beta release for 1.2.0 to shake out problems.  In the
meantime I would encourage the daring to try the nightly snapshots and
report any problems.